Adventures in Wonderland

.......not just a travel blog

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

In our sixties, with apparently no other authentic option, my husband Don and I sold our car and apartment, sold or gave away all our stuff, and set off to discover the world. And ourselves. We started in Italy in 2011 and from there have travelled to Spain, India, Bali, etc. - you can see the blog archive. We will continue travelling until it's time to stop - if that time ever comes. So far it suits us very well. We are interested in how the world works, how life works, how the creation of experience works, how the mind works. As we travel and both "choose" our course, and at the same time just let it unfold, we discover the "mechanics" of life, the astounding creativity of life, and a continual need to return to trust and presence. Opening the heart, and acceptance of what is, as it is, are keystones for us both.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Tiruvannamalai, India. Part 2




WEEK ONE: DON'S FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The more I let myself sink into the feelings I have about Tiruvannamalai, the more I come to realize that I hate the squalor, hate the shit in the streets, hate the stench of the open sewers and hate the stink of the bathroom drain in the apartment where we’re staying. This is not what I signed up for: I came to Arunachala to be in the energy of Ramana Maharshi and Mount Arunachala, to become fully openhearted, to become enlightened. I didn’t come to be confronted by the gritty realities of daily life in the third world. Or maybe that’s exactly what I came for: to get out of my comfort zone, and out of the bland life I had been living. I wasn’t happy with the life I was living in Canada or with the overwhelming focus on wealth and material possessions that grips North America. I want to live in a world where people care more for one another than they do about their worldly possessions. Well guess what, many of the people we see living in Tiru seem very family oriented, and seem as happy as people anywhere, despite the apparent difficulty and challenges of their living conditions.

There is a lot for me to see and learn here about what is important. My own love of, and desire for, luxury. Where does that come from? What is that really about? My own comfort, obviously, but what else? If I’m living in luxury, does that automatically mean that I’m living off the backs of the poor, or am I simply contributing to the economic well-being of the people who are providing the goods and services I require? I suppose it depends in part upon the relationships I have with those people: am I treating them with respect or am I treating them like servants to do my bidding? Am I paying them a decent wage for their circumstances or am I paying them as little as I can get away with? Goods and services are generally far cheaper in India than they are in North America or Europe, so I can live well here on relatively little money. That’s good for me, and I am contributing to the local economy by buying almost everything I need right here in Tiru. Mixed emotions best describes my current feelings towards the economic aspects of living here.

Two days later :
So now that I’m feeling better, having told you all the things I dislike about Tiru and having had a good meditation today, its time to provide a balance by telling you some of the things I like about the place: the view of Mount Arunachala from our living room window, beautiful brightly coloured saris, beautiful Indian women wearing their beautiful brightly coloured saris, friendly Indian children, sadhus sitting by the side of the road in their traditional garb, brightly painted trucks and buses, the social interactions between the people as they go about their business on the street, fresh pineapple, fresh papaya, the hustle and bustle of street life, cows with their horns painted and garlanded, calves trotting along the streets behind their mothers, Masala chai, and ravi dosas. I love that the spiritual aspects of life are right out on the street, and all around you. I love sitting in the silent meditation room at Ramanasramam listening to the boy's choir chanting in the next room, the approach to Skandasramam (Ramana Maharshi's original ashram situated part-way up Mount Arunachala) and suddenly getting a clear view of downtown Tiruvannamalai with it’s enormous temple to Shiva, and meditating in the Virupaksha cave, where Ramana Maharshi lived for many years. The spiritual aspects of life are everywhere present here and that is what I love, more than anything else, about Tiruvannamalai.


FROM ALISON

A couple of Tiru vignettes:

1. Soundscape: It’s noisy here. As I write this I hear a group of people drumming and, with beautiful harmony, singing kirtans in the building next door, a group of boys shouting as they play, a loud crow cawing, a motorbike going by, now another vehicle with tooting horn, another motorbike, and the crow continues unabated. Dogs bark, birds chirp, a rooster crows. And later in the day the cows will begin a mournful non-stop bellowing for a couple of hours. And this is just on a little dirt lane on the edge of town. In town it’s non-stop noise. Every vehicle has a loud horn, and they are used. Constantly. It's a surprise to find out how noisy peacocks are. They sound like very loud lost kittens. People talking and shouting. And the din of motorized vehicles – trucks, buses, cars, motorbikes and auto rickshaws. And did I mention horns blaring? Constantly. The noise never stops.

2. Sweeping: There might be garbage in the streets, and open sewers, but it’s only in public spaces. Out the front of every business, and out the front of every house or hut, and in every private yard, sweeping happens. Every day. Each day all the debris (whether garbage, or fallen leaves, or anything else) is swept up and cleared away from pavement or dusty ground. Within the confines of a very simple life, and yes, certainly, material poverty, and a country too poor and too populated to provide garbage collection and street cleaning, a great neatness happens. I suppose people are “house proud” and don’t want to live in a mucky space no matter where they live, or whatever their circumstances.





People

























































And one from Don




There's so much to write about - walking around the mountain, cooking by candlelight, our meditations and inner changes, the Wandering Swami of Arunachala, the mongoose, a rickshaw ride in the dark. Life here is rich in experience. We let each day unfold itself. Our hearts are full.

5 Comments:

Blogger kate b said...

deep thank you from kate

January 29, 2012 at 6:20 AM  
Blogger KateB said...

Seems there's another kate b in your list. ;)
Thank you from me too!

Your email signed off with "Hope you're enjoying the stories of our wanderings." Absolutely! I'm always inclined to post something after reading each of your blog entries, to show my appreciation and acknowledge the effort you make to help us friends & family follow you in your travels. I don't, though,, because I don't want to get boring. But please know that I truly enjoy all of your stories!!

I enjoy your amazing photos, Alison, along with your impressively-written travelogue, just the right amount of story to go with the photos. I deeply appreciate Don's contributions, because they expand what your experiences are like into the more personal aspects, the thoughts, the mind, the soul. All of it, together, is wonderful to read. I eagerly look forward to every post.

Thanks again!

January 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

A big thank you to both Kate B's (in fact you're both Br - after that it changes). Either way I always seem to know which one it is :)

January 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM  
Blogger Ganesan Ramalingam said...

Hi Alison, I am happy to see the blog about my native and get the outsiders view about Tiruvannamalai, thanks a lot, enjoy your stay at T.V.malai,

kudos to you!

-Ganesan

February 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Thanks Ganesan. Glad you liked the blog. How did you find out about it? Always curious to know how people find the blog.

Thanks
Alison

February 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home